Cooking and baking have always been a hobby of mine, however I make a lot of mistakes. I also usually make a huge mess as well. I take after my mother.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recipe: No Sugar Added Banana Bread

You'll need a lot of bananas for this one, but I find that if I dig through my freezer I'm able to dig up some lost soldiers.

Sadly I don't have a picture of the finished product.... it got eaten too quickly.


But the ingredients are....

Dry:
2 Cups flour, (can be whole wheat)
1 cup oatmeal
2 TBS cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 TBS Flax seed, or any other nutty addition

Wet:
6-8 Frozen Bananas
1/4cup Banana Syrup*
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup apple sauce
1 cup plain yogurt, buttermilk or milk (I had some left over half&half I needed to use... yum)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x11 pan with oil or butter
Microwave frozen bananas. Then transfer the to a strainer over a sauce pan and let sit.
Mix the dry ingredients together
Mix the wet ingredients together except for the bananas and banana syrup
Press out as much of the juice from the bananas as possible. Transfer the sauce pan to the stove, on high heat. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 5 minutes. It should look quite frothy through all of it, just keep stirring it every so often to keep it from burning (although I'm not completely convinced it will burn as it has a lot of liquid). After about 10min it should be thick enough
Pour liquid into wet ingredients and add bananas, mix well.
Add  the wet ingredients to the dry, but don't beat, just stir until everything is wet (batter will be lumpy)

Pour  batter into prepared pan, bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment