Cooking and baking have always been a hobby of mine, however I make a lot of mistakes. I also usually make a huge mess as well. I take after my mother.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blog: SF Diet Day 2

Ok, I may have slipped up unintentionally.

From now on, no added 'starches' either, as they too are another form of sugar. Sadly, my cottage cheese had, under the 'less than 2%' category,  'food starch.' Shucks. But the container is empty, so I won't be buying that again.

Starches, Fibers and Sugars were still confusing me a little bit, especially after finishing the book "Sugar Busters!" today, which did not talk about glycemic load.  I'm a little wary of any diet that says to avoid carrots. Carrots are 85% water, and 100g of carrots only contains 10 grams of carbs.  7-8 of which are sugar. But in order to get the full Glycemic  reaction of  71,  you'd have to eat about 500 grams of carrots,  (the GI is based on a serving of 50g of Carbs of a certain food) which would be about 4 cups, (1 cup can weight roughly 130g). I know I have my binges, but 4 cups of uncooked chopped carrots, would be rough on a lot more than just my blood sugar.

I also, still find it hard to believe that a carrot is more than 87% water (http://www.botanical-online.com/carrots.htm). How is that possible?! Cucumbers must be almost all water... oh yep they are ... 96% (http://www.botanical-online.com/carrots.htm). Wow. Learn something new everyday.

I've also read a lot about (/it feels like I've always been told that) complex carbs are harder for the body to break down when compared to simple carbs.

Ok this is NOT always true. Starch is a complex carb, yet potatoes are really really easily broken down, yet fruits (who's carbs are mostly fructose and glucose) are sometimes (depending on which fruit) broken down more slowly.  This website, although I don't necessarily agree with everything it says in terms of carbs being an essential food group, explains it pretty well: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/reference_carbohydrates.asp

But other than that, day two went pretty well. Dinner was awesome; romaine with carrots, feta, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and beans: and I also made a huge pot of Bulgar Wheat cooked with a can of tomato sauce, chicken broth, garlic powder, and peas added afterwards... it was awesome and easy. I made it in the rice cooker!

Oh yeah and a dried peach or two for a little sweetness post  dinner... okay and maybe one between the salad and the bulgar wheat....

No comments:

Post a Comment